“The sky has always been and still is
an inspiration for mankind.
contemplation has become increasingly
difficult and, even, for the
young generations is
beginning to be unknown. An essential
element of our Civilization and
culture is getting
lost quickly, and this loss will
affect all the Countries in the world “
the IAU/ICSU/UNESCO about the Reduction of Environmental Adverse
on Astronomy. Paris, 2nd July 1992.
WHAT IS LIGHT POLLUTION?.
It is the
illumination of night sky caused by dispersion of artificial light
particles and gases. Its originated by an inefficient and bad designed
which shines the night sky.
energetic waste which implies a great economic cost and a bad use of
· Light intrusion.
· Increases sky glow
and glares. It deteriorates civil and vial safety.
· Loss of our
cultural heritage which is starry sky observation. It prevents
(professional or amateur).
· Violates article 45
from the Spanish Constitution.
· Overwaste of
· It generates
nuclear residues, CO2 and other gas emissions , green house effect, ...
· Production of other
types of residues: Mercury.
· Damage night
ecosystems with diverse affections to animals, plants and insects:
RULES FOR A CORRECT ILLUMINATION.
Light should be directed downwards wherever possible to illuminate its
upwards. If there is no alternative to
up-lighting, then the use of shields and baffles
will help reduce spill light to a
· It´s preferred the use of sodium
steam lamps of low pressure and its power should be
adecuated to use.
· Lights should be switched off after
midnight in monuments and publicity walls.
· Laser / light cannons should be
banned. This applies to any light projector which
directs light to the sky.
· Use asimetric projectors with
anti-glare grids or facing the ground (sports lighting
· Reduce the light waste at night in
less activity hours , at dawn, by the selective
switching off of lights and the lowing
of public street lights
WHAT CAN WE DO?.
· Spreading the light pollution problem, its effects and solution.
· Denouncing any irrational use of the public resources.
· Including the concept of Light Pollution in municipal laws concerning
· Applying basic measures which grant an adecuated night illumination.
· Adapting the laws in order to avoid any type of light pollution.
· Remodellating polluting facilities.
· Regulating the light pollution withing the general frame of an
· CELFOSC-Asociación contra la Contaminación Lumínica: http://www.celfosc.org
· International Dark-Sky Association: http://www.darksky.org
· Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias: http://www.iac.es/proyect/otpc