PhD/PostDoc Opportunities Molecular Infection Biology / Host-Pathogen-Interaction / Cell-Autonomous Immunity
- Posted: 01 Dec 2020
- Place: Umeå University
- Project duration: PhD: 4 years, PostDoc: 2 years (with possibility for further prolongation depending on satisfactory performance). Starting date: preferentially March to mid-2021 (can be negotiated)
- To find out more about the lab and their research, please visit the website (please also visit the sites of MIMS and Umeå University)
- Application Interested candidates are welcome to send an application to Barbara Sixt. Applications should include (as a single PDF file in English): 1) a letter of motivation describing the applicant’s specific motivation and relevant qualifications, 2) a curriculum vitae, 3) a publication list (if applicable) and 4) names and e-mail addresses of two or more references, with stated professional relationship to the applicant. Applications are possible from now until a suitable candidate was found.
Postdoctoral Fellow. Microbiology and Immunology (Bacteriology)
- Posted: 1st Dec 2020
Place: Henry M. Jackson Foundation, United States
Description: The Liechti Laboratory is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow to support its research in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS) in Bethesda, MD.
Projects on Chlamydia spp. include:
- Characterization of the structural elements involved in septal peptidoglycan biosynthesis, assembly, and dissociation in the absence of FtsZ
- Development of live-cell imaging techniques for visualizing the formation/ dissociation of the cell division complex and peptidoglycan biosynthesis / turnover
- Identification and characterization of structural and metabolic ‘check points’ that regulate the developmental cycles of Chlamydia sp.
- Investigation of the physiological underpinnings of Chlamydia’s aberrant / persistent state and how it influences host / microbial interaction.
Application: Interested researchers can apply either via the link below, or by sending a CV and contact information for three references to Dr. George Liechti. Link
- ESCCAR International congress on Rickettsiae and 9th Meeting of the European Society for Chlamydia Research (ESCR). Lausanne (Switzerland) in August 2021. The meeting was initially planned in August 2020 and we postponed it on August 2021 due to the Covid situation. This is a joint event of the 4 yearly European chlamydia meeting (last time was in Oxford in 2016) and the 3 yearly ESCCAR meeting.
ChlamTalks 2021 monthly virtual seminar series to keep us going during the pandemic, since CBRS 2021 has been postponed. The seminar series will be held monthly, on the last Wednesday of the month, at 8 am PST; 11 am EST; 2 pm Britain; 3 pm Germany, etc. Each seminar will consist of 3 talks, each 15 minutes long plus 5 minutes for questions. The series will start on January 27, 2021 and will continue for the entire calendar year.
Tenth Biennial Meeting Chlamydia Basic Research Society. 21-24 March 2021; Berlin, Germany
(IDEA: distribution email list and each topic has a label)
Possible funding ideas might include:
- Rapid and more precise diagnostics and tools for the monitoring of health and infection. #diagnostics
- Novel methods that prevent or cure infection and/or empower the host's general defense against infection. #defenses
- New and improved vaccines (including veterinary autogenous vaccines) or easily adaptable vaccine platforms. #vaccines
- Development of novel oral delivery methods causing less stress #oralvaccine
- Alternatives to protect animals from disease, such as new feed additives/drugs. #alternativeAb
A few possibly relevant EU calls
EU H2020: SC1-BHC-06-2020S: Digital diagnostics – developing tools for clinical decisions integrating in vitro and in vivo diagnostics
EU H2020: SC1-BHC-13-2019: Mining big data for early detection of infectious disease threats driven by climate change and other factors
EU H2020: SC1-BHC-14-2019: Stratified host-directed approaches to improve prevention, treatment and/or cure of infectious diseases
EU H2020: SFS-11B-2019: Alternatives to antimicrobials
EU H2020: SFS-31A-2019: ICT-enabled agri-food systems
EU H2020: SFS-31C-2019: International veterinary vaccinology
EU H2020: SFS-02-2020: Healthy livestock gut ecosystem for sustainable production
EU H2020: SFS-10-2020: Epidemiology of contagious animal diseases
European Society of Animal Chlamydioses and associated Zoonoses
Hosted by Universidad de Murcia