In 1996 the members of the CoLoS project founded an association (registered) based on the German law. Further information about the aims, activities, membership, etc. can be found in the statutes of CoLoS eV, below, or from the members of the board.
Statutes of the CoLoS association
§ 1 Name and registration site
- The name of the association will be CoLoS; in the following "association" shall mean the CoLoS association. It shall be registered in the association register at Kiel, Germany, and will then carry the extension e.V. CoLoS stands for "Conceptual Learning of Science".
- The legal site of the association is where the first elected chairman has his or her residence. To facilitate the change of the legal site of the association to another European country, the original statutes will be translated into English. This English version will serve as the primary source to be used for further translations to other languages.
§ 2 Aims of the association
The aims of the association shall be to support and enhance teaching and learning in the field of science and technology through research and development of the educational potential of modern communication technologies, and propagation of the results.
§ 3 Activities
To meet its aims the association will pursue activities such as the following:
- create a network of persons and institutions who are active in the fields of science and technology;
- create a database for software tools, teaching applications, multimedia documents and training courses in the field of computer assisted teaching and learning;
- support research projects of its members which are in agreement with the CoLoS aims;
- support the implementation of computer assisted material by organizing assistance and service;
- organize professional meetings.
§ 4 Non-profit status
The association pursues exclusively and directly aims of public interest in the sense of the chapter "tax favoured aims" of the "Abgabenordnung". The association is active in an unselfish manner: it does not pursue economic objectives in its own interest with first priority. The association is non-profit-making. The resources of the association can only be used in accordance with the statutes. The members do not receive any donations from the resources of the association. No person shall be favoured by expenditures which are foreign to the aims of the association or of unusually high value.
§ 5 Business year
Business year is the calendar year. The first reduced business year will end on December 31, 1996
§ 6 Membership
- Membership is open to any natural person, who is active as a teacher, developer or researcher in the field of science and technology, and who supports the aims of the association.
- Membership is open to all legal persons whose aims are in accordance with the CoLoS statutes.
- To acquire membership the support of two CoLoS members is needed.
- Written application for membership must be addressed to a member of the board and be accompanied by a 12 month activity plan, indicating how the aims of the association will be put into practice.
- A decision on approval of membership will be made by the general assembly. If necessary this process may be conducted partly or wholly via electronic mail, in which case any member has the right to veto approval, provided that notification of this veto is addressed to one member of the board within one calendar month of the call for voting. Approval of membership, established by electronic means, requires an absolute majority of current members.
- Membership ends:
- a) with the death of the member;
- b) upon receipt by a member of the board of a letter of resignation. Such declaration is possible at any time;
- c) by decision of the general assembly.
§ 7 Bodies
The bodies of the association are:
- The board
- The general assembly
§ 8 The board
- The board consists of the 1. chairman, the 2. chairman and the 3. chairman. The association will be represented in court and outside court by one single member of the board.
- Each member of the board will be elected by the general assembly for a period of three years. One member of the board retires by rotation each year, starting with the first chairman after the first year. The members will remain in office until new elections have taken place.
- If a member leaves the board during his or her elected period, the board will select a substitute member following consultation of the members by electronic means. The substitute member will remain in office only until the next general assembly, at which there will be an election.
§ 9 The general assembly
- The general assembly must be called by the 1. chairman at least annually, giving 14 days notice, using either electronic mail or fax. The call must be accompanied by a draft agenda, agreed by the board.
- At the annual general meeting, the assembly has especially the following tasks:
- a) to approve the budget for the coming business year.
- b) vote to accept, or reject, the report of the board and its actions
- c) as necessary, elect members of the board
- d) to determine the annual membership fee
- e) to decide about changes to the statutes, basic papers which determine important activities of the association and about termination of the association.
- The board shall call a general assembly giving at least seven days notice if it is the view of the board that this is needed in the interest of the association or if this has been demanded by at least one fifth of the members in writing, indicating the aims and reasons for the assembly.
- The decisions of the general assembly shall be documented in minutes signed by a member of the board and the transcript writer.
§ 10 Membership fees
The membership fees are annual fees and due in advance on the 31. of January of each year. The amount of the member fees is determined by the general assembly.
§ 11 Termination of the association and disposal of resources
If the association is terminated or its aim no longer applies, the resources of the association shall be given to the grant commission of Hewlett-Packard Europe to be granted directly to an educational project of public interest.