Visits of up to 3 months:
The SOLE requisite is to obtain a Spanish NIE which allows you to work or sign a contract; applicants must go to the Police Office for Foreigners with the following:
- Two copies of form EX-15
- A copy of their whole passport.
- A letter from the University stating that they will be working in a specific laboratory or department.
Visits for more than 3 months:
OBLIGATORY REQUIREMENTS, to be met within 3 months of the date of entry into Spain.
- Two copies of form EX-16 (RGE inscription)
- A copy of their whole passport
- Contract or letter from the University or Centre contracting the researcher.
- Copy of the European health insurance card.
These documents are to be presented in the Police Office for Foreigners after payment of the relevant fee. The fee is provided in-situ and can be paid at the CajaMurcia counter in the Police Office.
Visits of up to 6 months (180-day visa)
SOLELY for those who have been requested to obtain a NIE to work or to sign a contract. No appointment is required and the process is carried out at the Police Office. The process is known as SOLICITUD DE CERTIFICADO DE NIE (APPLICATION FOR NIE CERTIFICATE). Applicants should complete form EX-15 in duplicate and provide their passport and a complete copy of the same including blank pages and the visa. After paying the fee (approximately 7€), the NIE certificate is issued on the spot.
Visits for more than 6 months (90-day visa)
OBLIGATORY. No appointment is necessary and the whole process is carried out in the Office for Foreigners and the Police Office. The process is known as SOLICITUD DE LA TARJETA DE AUTORIZACIÓN DE ESTANCIA POR ESTUDIOS (APPLICATION FOR AUTHORISATION OF STUDY VISIT PERMIT). Applicants should complete form EX-00 in duplicate and provide their passport and a complete copy of the same including blank pages and the visa. They should also provide a letter of acceptance from the centre where they will be carrying out their studies or research. They will be given an official response.
- Fingerprint: by appointment only, made at: http://ouemurcia.cgsmurcia.org/, under section Cita previa-toma de huellas.
The official response and a copy of the same must be provided when applying for the permit. They must be presented together with the passport, two photographs and a receipt of the payment of the fee (15€ approximately) as well as a certificate of residence (although this can be provided later). The permit takes some 30 days to arrive. In the meantime, applicants are provided with a receipt which bears the applicant's NIE number.
- RENEWAL OF THE "TARJETA DE RESIDENTE" (RESIDENT'S CARD): In order to renew this card the same documents used to apply for it, the first time, are requested. Apart from that, it is necessary to have repatriation insurance and be able to prove economic solvency.
- OPENING A BANK ACCOUNT: We strongly recommend those in need of a NIE number not to open a bank account until their NIE number have been issued in order to avoid the payment of unnecessary fees.
More information at: